Many misconceptions exist about copyright. Take this quiz, and see how informed you are about this US government service that offers protection for writers throughout our country.
True or False?
- Your book is not protected unless you have a copyright.
- Mailing yourself a copy of your manuscript will provide the same protection as applying for a copyright.
- You cannot publish your manuscript until you have your copyright certificate in hand.
They’re all false.
- Your work is protected the moment you write it. A copyright makes it easier to bring a lawsuit against someone who uses your material illegally.
- The poor man’s copyright is a total myth. It offers no more protection than doing nothing at all.
- You don’t have to wait to have the certificate. You can publish immediately. You can even publish without a copyright at all.
All information taken from the US Copyright office website.